Burlington's first library was a "social library" that was founded in 1816. The library began with 90 volumes and developed a collection of 250 volumes by the time the library closed in 1842. It wasn't until 1857 that the town began funding for a public library. Since that time, the library changed, grown and moved to various locations throughout Burlington.
To learn more of the history of the Burlington Public Library visit our About Us page.
Local History Room
The Miles Historical Room preserves the materials that document the history of Burlington and, to a lesser extent, its surrounding towns. These materials are available to researchers and the general public.
The major emphasis of the collection is material of significant local historical information about Burlington including genealogical resources. The room is also home to an institutional collection documenting the history of the Burlington Public Library. Presently, the collection includes materials by and about the people of Burlington, town annual reports, Burlington High School Yearbooks, street lists, maps, phone books and genealogical information.
A variety of formats are collected, including but not limited to books, pamphlets, maps, photographs and microfilm.